The Reiki Room -Harmonious Healing-
Hello readers, welcome to my page, for those who don’t know me let me introduce myself, my name is Jackie Canale and I am a therapist working in Gran Alacant promoting holistic wellbeing wherever I can.
With the summer season in full swing I feel it is a good time to talk about water retention as I know many of my clients and myself suffer excess fluid in this heat.
Do you suffer from water retention?
Water retention is caused by excess fluid in body tissues. Signs of this can include swelling in the ankles, feet and hands, our weight can fluctuate, one day feeling quite comfortable the next we can feel a few kilos heavier, it can also make us feel stiff or ache.
It can be caused by several factors, one major one right now can be the hot weather we are experiencing others can be menopause, certain medical conditions, menstrual cycles, excessive intake of salt and so on.
Little tips that can help to reduce this can include:
- Avoid dehydrating the body- drink lots of water, aim for at least 2 litres, especially in this heat. Also add some fruit to your water to give that extra boost, lemon, oranges, cucumber anything, mix it up, it´s always good and also makes the water more refreshing if you are not too keen on drinking water itself.
- Avoid too much alcohol and caffeine.
- Eat potassium rich foods in your diet, such as bananas, apricots, peaches, raspberries, raisins, and spinach. Potassium in the body keeps the sodium levels stable helping to flush waste from the body tissues. Fibre rich foods like whole grains, nuts, vegetables also aid as a cleanser. Drinking cranberry juice or dandelion leaf tea will help, they are both natural diuretics.
Protein rich foods such as yoghurts, fish, cottage cheese, chicken, chick peas, avocados are a good staple diet for aiding the body to rid excess fluid along with regular exercise
- Adding supplements to your daily routine can also be very beneficial, taking magnesium and/or a vitamin B6 helps to balance out the body.
- Having a regular aromatherapy massage with oils such as Lavender, Eucalyptus, Geranium, Lemon and Grapefruit to name a few is a great way to rid the body of excess water.
If you are a sufferer of the extra fluid in the summer season I feel your pain, I too always feel double my size in July and August. Just try and follow one or two tips from the list above and I hope you feel the difference.
Please take advantage of my August offer of a Full Body Fluid Retention Aromatherapy massage for only 30 euros!