Hi everybody. Summer is around the corner and it’s also the best time to enjoy sardines as they are in season. So the recipe for this month is “Sardinas en escabeche” (Pickled sardines).
Hope you have a great summer!
1 kg sardines
1/2 garlic head
2 bay leaves
10 gr black pepper seed
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 litre olive oil
100ml. White wine
- Wash and clean the sardines, season with salt and dip in flour. Add 1/2 of the oil in the fry pan and fry the sardines. When they are all fried sit aside ideally in a ceramic container.
- In the same oil fry the garlic cloves, add 2 bay leaves and the rest of the oil.
- Cook on low heat and when the garlic gets a little bit brown add the thyme, the oregano, black pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Then add the paprika and white wine.
- Let it boil, add the vinegar and pinch of salt.
- Cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Let the sauce get cold and add to the sardines. Put in the fridge for 24 hours.
- You can serve them cold or room temperature or even hot if you prefer.
- Serve with some salad or boiled potatoes.
Have a great month.