Hi all, is it cold out there?
I’ve just got a suggestion from a friend who’s been in La Rioja recently and who enjoyed a plate called “Patatas a la Riojana”, so this month we are going to make Potato stew – riojan style!
Hope it warms you up,
3 pounds russet potatoes
⅓ cup olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
3 (3-ounce) chorizos, casings removed and cut into 1-inch-thick slices
1 ½ tablespoons sweet pimentón
½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
- Peel the potatoes. To “crack” the potatoes into chestnut – sized pieces, make a small cut in each potato and then break it open the rest of the way. Set the potato pieces aside./li>
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes, or until softened. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring, for about 1minute. Add the potatoes, pimentón, red pepper flakes, and salt and stir to mix the ingredients. Add water to cover by 1 inch and bring to a boil. Cover, decrease the heat to medium-low, and cook slowly for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender./li>
- Remove from the heat. Mash a piece or two of the potato against the side of the pot with the back of a spoon to thicken the soup.
- Stir once, re-cover, and let stand for 10 minutes./li>
- Stir again, ladle into warmed bowls, and serve immediately. And enjoying it with a nice glass of Rioja.
Have a nice month
lots of love Mayka xxx