Arterial Hypertension is the elevation of blood pressure levels in the arteries. It is a disease that does not produce symptoms by itself, which is why it is called a silent disease.
Hypertension is a cardiovascular risk factor:
By having to strengthen the heart to overcome the greatest resistance of the arteries, it can occur hypertrophy of the left ventricular, (increased muscle mass on left ventricular), which can subsequently lead to coronary insufficiency and angina pectoris, and a greater tendency to produce cardiac arrhythmias.
In patients with previous cardiovascular problems, high blood pressure may increase
the damage. Boosts the accumulation of fat in the arterial walls (atherosclerosis) and softening of the arterial walls, producing aneurysms and in the worst case, rupture
of the arterial walls.
In the brain they can cause cerebral infarctions in case of insufficient irrigation or cerebral haemorrhage in case of rupture of an artery.
It can damage the kidney causing chronic renal failure, requiring in the most cases
It can also cause intermittent claudication, which is when the arteries cannot carry enough blood to the lower limbs and with the movement produces pain that requires interruption of movement.
It can cause damage to the arteries of the retina (eyes) causing vision impairment.
It can cause impotence in men.
The diagnosis is by means of measurements of high blood pressure figures, although there are different methods and sometimes requires tests such as the blood pressure Holter.
The study of blood pressure should always be completed with blood and urine tests and electrocardiogram.
TREATMENT AND PREVENTION:
- THE BEST TREATMENT IS PREVENTION: HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
- DO NOT SMOKE BECAUSE TOBACCO INCREASES ARTERIAL VOLTAGE AND CARDIAC FREQUENCY.
- THE EXCESSIVE CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL INCREASES ARTERIAL VOLTAGE AND PRODUCES DAMAGES IN THE HEART, BRAIN, EYES AND OTHER ORGANS.
- OVERWEIGHT-OBESITY INCREASES PRESSURE AND CARDIOVASCULAR RISK AND SUFFERING DIABETES
- THE REGULAR EXERCISE PRODUCES DECREASE OF ARTERIAL VOLTAGE AS IT INCREASES THE CAPACITY OF EFFORT, AND DECREASES CARDIOVASCULAR RISK
- HEALTHY DIET
- If an arterial hypertension is already established, previous recommendations are not enough and the pharmacological treatment guided by your general practitioner may be necessary.
- The general practitioner will need to send for cardiology assessment and precise of evolutionary follow up.
- Prevention is the most important factor to avoid complications associated with hypertension.
Once diagnosed with hypertension, treatment and follow ups are very important with complementary tests and analysis that are considered necessary according to the characteristics of each patients.
THIS MONTH’S PROMOTIONS ARE:
- Cardiovascular risk checkup – Two consults with GP, complete physical examination – Blood test – ECG (electrocardiogram) 50 euros (normal price 110 euros)
- Complete evaluation with cardiologist – Complete examination – ECG (electrocardiogram) – Echocardiogram 150 euros (normal price 200 euros)
- Whitening with LED lamp in only one session 150 euros (normal price 200 euros)
- 20% discount on conventionally orthodontic 20% off dental polish
For more information or book an appointment visit Gran Alacant Family Doctors